Donation Preparation Tips
Health and Nutrition
- Eat a healthy meal that is high in protein and iron within 2 hours before and 2 hours after your donation.
- Avoid fatty foods prior to donating. Fatty foods can give your plasma a milky appearance and affect your blood tests. If your plasma has this color appearance, you will not be able to donate plasma that day.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water or juice the night before and day of your donation.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages on the night before and day of your donation.
- Avoid smoking for at least 30 minutes after the completion of your donation.
- Avoid any strenuous activity for at least 1 hour before and 24 hours after your donation.
Other Helpful Tips
- Wear comfortable clothes. We keep the centers cool, so please dress warmly or bring a throw blanket.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Skip a donation if you’re feeling ill. Donors must be in general good health in order to donate. It is at the center’s discretion to determine whether or not you are healthy enough to donate that day.
- We recommend bringing a book, magazine or tablet to help pass the time. Our centers are equipped with free Wi-Fi and individual flat screen TVs with cable at each donor station.
- After your donation, keep your bandage clean and covered for several hours.